Monday, July 13, 2009

Networking for Clients

Networking is the best way for small businesses to get clients.

Fundamentally, everyone wants to do business with those they know, like, and trust. How do you get people to know, like and trust you? The answer is as simple as it is complex, network. There are many ways to network both in person and online. Social media sites such as FaceBook, Twitter and LinkedIn are all ways to network online rather than face-to-face. Although I understand and like social media sites, nothing substitutes meeting someone face to face.

For the past month or so, I have been networking within my local small business community. It is something I should have started earlier, but like so many entrepreneurs, I was caught in the, “I can’t do this until I’ve done that” trap. For me it was, I could not network until I have a website and logo. Finally, I decided that I needed to get over it. I went to vistaprint.com and got inexpensive business cards with only my name, contact information, business name and tag line. Because the cards were so inexpensive ($15 for 250), I am comfortable printing a new batch once I have my website completed. In the meantime, I am getting out and letting people know about my business.

While working for others, I always enjoyed going to women networking groups the most. Although I have clients who are both male and female, I find that women networking events tend to be more casual and welcoming than their mixed gender counterparts. Once I got comfortable with networking for my business by going to several women entrepreneur events, I moved to larger mixed gender groups. Still, it is not easy to walk into a room of strangers and try to make connections at a business and personal level.

In order to walk in to the room with confidence remember to arm yourself with a nice outfit, business cards, a smile, and your elevator speech, also known as your thirty-second pitch. Imagine that you have stepped into an elevator, the doors have closed, and riding with you is your perfect customer. You have between the ground floor and the second floor to state why they should purchase your product or service. This is your elevator speech. It is not as easy as you may think. Now try doing that before a room of 30. Newsweek has a good article about the importance of elevator pitches. When preparing yours, remember to say it aloud to hear how it sounds to you. Which words do you stress? Is it interesting? How long is it? Do not forget to include information on why your customer should choose you and what is in it for them.

Once you have your elevator pitch and business cards, shop for a good networking group. I have found some great opportunities on meetup.com. I would also recommend looking at your local chamber of commerce, professional associations, and local volunteering opportunities. It depends on your business, but a structured group such as BNI may also work for you. Initially, go to as many different types of networking groups as possible. See which groups are a good fit and which are not. Once you have a good idea of the opportunities in your area, try concentrating on a few different groups that seem to fit your interests, business goals and target market.

Once you have selected a few groups, become active. Relationships are built over time, and it is therefore important that you stay focused on a few groups rather than put your effort all over the map. When you meet someone who you want to do business with, remember to follow up. Send them a quick email the next day and schedule a coffee meeting. It is a nice way to get to know the other person on a personal level.

Although it can be intimidating at first, networking is the best way to get to know other business owners. It is also a good way to make friends, gain self-confidence about you and your business, give back to your community and help others make connections. So, what are you waiting for? Print out our business cards and get started.

1 comment:

  1. Great point, Debi. This post highlights such an important step for a small business owner such as myself. Most of my clients so far have been people I've met through other people rather than people I've recruited through advertising. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete